The Township of Georgian Bay is responsible for the review, development and implementation of land use policies and by-laws. Please check the zoning regulations for your property before applying for a building permit. Building permits start with planning review and can often take longer if planning isn't consulted first.

For an average-complexity Official Plan Amendment, Zoning Amendment, Minor Variance or severance (Consent) application we are looking at 6 months starting from the submission of a Pre-Application Consultation form, to the submission of an application under the Planning Act, to the application being considered at a Planning Council or Committee of Adjustment public meeting. This is contingent upon the Planning Department receiving all of the required studies, assessments, reports etc. as required by the Township Official Plan at the beginning of the application process.

 For above average complexity applications, such as a Plan of Subdivision or Condominium, or applications requiring a District of Muskoka Official Plan amendment this process can take longer.



Our Zoning By-law regulates the use, location, size and height of structures, as well as other provisions. Our Zoning By-law complements the Township's Official Plan (which complements the District of Muskoka Official Plan) to ensure thoughtful and sustainable development. Find the zoning of your property using the Interactive Zoning Map or by contacting our Planning Department at

Zoning By-Law Schedules
 Zoning By-Law Appendices 

Planning Application Forms

Sometimes there are situations where the zone of a property doesn't meet the property owner's project goals. In these situations, we encourage property owners to arrange a pre-consultation with our Planning Department to find an application process that fits the property owner's budget, timeline and vision for their project.

Pre-Application Consultation 

Prior to applying for a building permit or submitting a Planning Act application (i.e., minor variance), you are encouraged to take part in the Township’s Pre-Application Consultation process.  Please note that Pre- Application Consultation is mandatory for Official Plan Amendment, Zoning By-law Amendment, Site Plan Approval and Plan of Subdivision/Condominium applications. 

Through this process, Planning Staff will review your development proposal for compliance with the Zoning By-law and conformity with the District of Muskoka and Township Official Plans. Staff may involve representatives from various Township departments and/or external agencies. The purpose of this process is to provide applicants with a detailed memo identifying issues of non-compliance, applicable provisions and policies, required Planning Act application(s) and/or approvals, and to confirm the supporting materials (i.e., site plan, environmental impact study, etc.) that must be submitted with an application for it to be deemed complete. For more complex development proposals, an in-person or virtual meeting will be arranged prior to staff providing a written memo. Pre-Application Consultation Requests are reviewed in order of receipt. The comments generated from the Pre-Application Consultation process do not constitute an approval nor reflect the position of the Township regarding a development proposal.

Consent (Land Severance)

A consent is the legal separation of a piece of land to form a new lot. A consent is not needed if the land is already divided by a railway or public road. You can also apply for a consent for:

  • right-of-way,
  • easements, and
  • any change to your existing property boundaries (e.g. lot addition).


Deeming By-law

A Deeming By-law deems areas of land to no longer be part of a registered plan of subdivision. This type of by-law allows certain lots, or parts of lots, on a plan of subdivision to merge. View our Deeming By-law Application Form for details and fees.

Minor Variance

A Minor Variance Application provides specific relief from our Zoning By-law if the Committee of Adjustment agrees that the request is minor. Minor variances maintain the general intent of our Zoning By-law and Official Plan.


Official Plan Amendment

If your plans for developing your property aren't consistent with the Township's Official Plan, you will need to apply for an Official Plan Amendment. More information on this process is available through your pre-consultation with our Planning Department.

Site Plan Agreement

A site plan agreement establishes both design and technical aspects of development over and above the requirements set out in the Zoning By-law. They can supplement zoning by providing more detailed site-specific requirements. Site plans help:

  • ensure that development projects contribute to attractive waterfronts, streetscapes and the character of the neighbourhood, and
  • protect the environmental features and surrounding land (e.g. wetlands, wild life habitats, water quality).

View our Site Plan Approval Application for fees.

Zoning By-law Amendment (Rezoning)

If a proposed use or structure on a property doesn't meet the requirements of our Zoning By-law, the owner may apply for a Zoning By-law Amendment


Planning Fees
View our planning fees in Schedule J of the Fees and Charges By-Law.
Paying the Fees

Fees are associated with the Planning applications and are identified on the first page of the corresponding application form. An application will not be processed by staff without payment of the applicable fee(s). Payment can be made one of the following ways:

  1. In-person via cheque, debit, or credit card 
  2. Online: 
  3. E-transfer

There is a 2.5% service charge when making payment with a credit card. 


To make an e-transfer:

  1. Send to  
  2.  A security question is required, and all answers need to be sent in a separate email to which shall include the following details:


    1. Application type
    2. Applicant name
    3. Property address and roll number

Information Guides 

Link to Minor variance GuideLink to Consent Application Guide



Planning Notices

See upcoming Public Meetings, draft Official Plan amendments, and other planning notices in our Document Centre. You can also read documents and presentations specific to Oak Bay DevelopmentSix Mile Lake and Macey Bay

Public Planning Meetings

May 14, 2024 Notice of Public Meeting Z23-22


Contact Us