(705) 538-2337 / 1-800-567-0187
Fax - (705) 538-1850
General Inquiries - x. 4 / General Inquiries
Kevin Datema, Director of Operations
Chris Stewart, Manager of Fleet / Mechanic
Seanne Goodfellow, MHK, Recreation Coordinator (Maternity Leave Contract)
Wendy Mackey, Operations Technical Assistant
Laird Lashbrook - Operations Lead Hand
Dan Lee - Operations Lead Hand
The Operations Department is completed of two functional branches with specific responsibilities in each area.
Parks, Recreation and Facilities
This branch provides a wide variety of services to the public including recreation programming opportunities, management of indoor and outdoor recreation facilities and special event management and support
Programs / Services provided by this branch:
- Provision of direct recreation programming opportunities for residents and non-residents in areas such general interest, training, youth, adult and senior programs (day camps, fitness, etc.)
- Program opportunities continue to be enhanced and are highlighted through the department’s tri-annual Recreation Brochure
- Management of indoor and outdoor facilities including: Baxter Ward Community Centre, MacTier Memorial Arena, MacTier Ball Field, Stewart Lake Beach and Wharf (MacTier), Gibson Lake Ball Filed, 6 Mile Lake tennis courts and docking area, Port Severn Park, Schoolhouse Trail, Honey Harbour Park Landing, Bressette House, Community Services Building (including the Port Severn Library), Administration Building, MacTier Fire Hall, Port Severn Fire Hall, Honey Harbour Fire Hall, MacTier Shop, Port Severn Shop, Honey Harbour Library, MacTier Library and the MacTier Cemetery.
- Management of water access areas including Regatta Beach on Go Home Lake, Minors Bay Wharf and parking are, Wawatausa boat launch/docks and parking, Gibson Lake boat launch/docks and parking, Kilty Bay boat launch/docks, Bloody Bay boat launch/docks and parking, and the 12 Mile Bay boat launch/wharf/docks and parking area.
- Involvement in a number of community based special events which promote social and physical activity
- Plays a supportive role to large events as well as participating in the development of sport tourism.
- Staff supports a wide variety of rental based events (private functions, hockey tournaments, etc.)
- The Department often acts as a support organization or partner for various community organizations including sports clubs, health and wellness organizations and not-for-profit charities.
- In addition to the Department’s full-time and part-time staff complement, staff works with student employees and 60 to 70 volunteers on an on-going basis.
This Department ensures that the 62 kilometres of District roads and the approximate 100 kilometres of Township roads within the Township of Georgian Bay are maintained to the Provincial Minimum Maintenance Standards, which we exceed.
The plowing of roads is generally carried out in accordance with the classifications of roads. Arterial roads receive preferred services at all times as they are major carriers of traffic and generally connect with other major roads. Collector roads provide access to arterial roads. The sanding and salting of roads are carried out to maintain roads safe and passable.
The organization is set up in such a way that all roads can be plowed and routes and equipment can be cleaned in about seven hours with bus routes being a priority. In order to carry out its tasks, the Department maintains a fleet of vehicles as well as other heavy and light equipment including winter clearance equipment and summer maintenance equipment.
Programs / Services provided by this branch:
- Internal maintenance and repairs of fleet vehicles
- Maintaining and following the Roads Needs Capital Improvement Plan (a living document allowing us to confirm priorities and tend to them as funding permits; this document is updated annually )
- Maintain and follow the Fleet Replacement Schedule (a living documents that allows us to ensure that purchases are spread out to avoid budget spikes; however, also a guide based on the expected useful lives of each asset class)
- Long-term planning, aid in preparing and administering departmental budgets, coordinating activities with other Township and governmental agencies, and overseeing divisional purchasing and personnel functions
- Spot reconstruction of roads, sidewalks, and curbs
- Spring clean-up, e.g., sand, sweeping, catch basin cleaning
- Maintenance of Township signs